top of page
services fream 01_webp (1).png

LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment)


A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker.

A positive KMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job. Once the employer gets the LMIA, the worker can apply for a work permit.

How to get LMIA?
Employers will need an LMIA from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
The LMIA application process depends on the type of program you’re hiring through.

What is high wage? 
Wage above the provincial/territorial median wage
What is low wage?
Wage below the median provincial/territorial wage


How to hire if you need an LMIA
The Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) lets you hire temporary foreign workers to fill labour and skill shortages.

Once an LMIA has been issued, you should provide a copy of the confirmation letter to each temporary foreign worker and tell each of them to apply for a work permit.

You’ll need an LMIA from ESDC, Service Canada

How to hire if you don’t need an LMIA
The International Mobility Program lets you hire temporary foreign workers without an LMIA. Check the LMIA exemption code that matches your respective job posting.

If you hire a temporary foreign worker through the International Mobility Program, you need to

  • pay an employer compliance fee

  • submit an offer of employment form through the Employer Portal

This must be done before the temporary foreign worker you want to hire can apply for a work permit.

Frequently asked questions

  • What is the processing fee? 

    • The processing fee for one applicant is $1000 and it is the employer who has to pay the fee. There are some exemptions from paying this fee.

  • What is the processing time? 

    • Check ECSD for the latest processing time.

Click for Assessment

bottom of page